Ultimate Guide to Delaware State Bar Exam
Delaware State Bar Exam | Basic Information
The Delaware State Bar Association was formed in 1923. There are about 40,000 attorneys and legal professionals licensed with the Delaware State Bar. It is mandatory to be a member of this bar association to practice in the State of Delaware.
Delaware is not a Uniform Bar Exam (UBE) state. Delaware has its own bar exam that uses the Multistate Bar Examination (MBE), the national multiple-choice test. It uses the Multistate Performance Test (MPT), one of the national essay tests. Delaware also requires the Multistate Professional Responsibility Examination (MPRE).
What’s the format of the Delaware Bar?
The Delaware bar is only administered once a year in July. The examination is administered over three days on the last Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday in July. The UBE has three parts: the Multistate Bar Exam (MBE), the Delaware essay questions, and the Multistate Performance Test questions (MPT).
The MBE is a six-hour test and consists of 200 multiple-choice questions that test your understanding across seven subjects. Your MBE score comprises 40% of your Delaware bar score.
Delaware MBE Review Course
Crushendo’s comprehensive MBE Suite comes with everything you need to crush the MBE.
- 1750+ Licensed NCBE MBE Practice Questions
- Audio Flashcards
- Lifetime Access
The Delaware essays consist of eight legal essays written on the first day of the Delaware bar. These essays, along with two MPT questions, comprise 60% of your Delaware bar score.
Delaware bar exam essay topics may include the following: Business Associations, Civil Procedure, Conflict of Laws, Constitutional Law, Contracts, Criminal Law and Procedure, Evidence, Family Law, Property, Secured Transactions, Torts, Trusts, Unincorporated Business Entities, Wills and Estates, etc.
Crushendo offers the most recent MEE questions and includes the point sheets that the graders used. These MEE questions are similar to the questions that the Delaware bar uses. You can find old Delaware essay questions here.
This video provides general essay tips that will be useful on this essay portion.
The MPT consists of two 90-minute tasks where you analyze and apply laws to specific scenarios. Your MPT score, combined with your Delaware essays score, comprises 40% of your Delaware bar score. Crushendo offers the most recent MPT questions and includes the point sheets that the graders used.
What’s the Multistate Professional Responsibility Examination?
The Multistate Professional Responsibility Examination (MPRE) tests your understanding of established standards of conduct for lawyers. The MPRE is administered three times each year (in March, August, and November). The test consists of 60 multiple-choice questions and is two hours long. Check out this MPRE Tips video!
Upcoming Bar Exam Schedule, Dates, Location
Are you interested in taking the Delaware State bar exam? Here’s some basic information on applying to take the Delaware bar exam.
The Delaware Bar application fee for most takers is $700. It is $800 if you are admitted to practice in another state or jurisdiction. You will pay double this fee if you apply after the deadline.
*Visit the Delaware Bar website for more information.
The filing deadline is April 1. There is a late filing deadline on May 15 with a $700 late fee.
In addition to passing the Delaware bar exam with a score of at least 145, there are several requirements that must be met in order to be admitted as an attorney in Delaware, including:
- Score 85 or higher on the Multistate Professional Responsibility Examination (MPRE) within the accepted time frame.
- Character and Fitness Review
- Get fingerprinted and have an FBI background check
- Graduate from an ABA-approved law school
- Complete a five month clerkship requirement and a pre-admission conference
Delaware State Bar Admissions Office
Carvel State Office Building
820 North French Street, 11th Floor
Wilmington, DE 19801-3545
Fax: (302) 577-7037
What to bring
- Your current driver’s license.
- Your Bar Examination Identification & Certification Card that has your photo, NCBE number, and examinee number
- You need to have these items with you for each of the four testing sessions.
- Laptop testers should not bring their laptop in a case or bag.
- Any item that can connect to the internet
- Any item that can record audio or video
- Food or drink
- Scratch papers
- Study materials
View lists of those who passed the Delaware State bar exam, posted on the Delaware State Bar Association’s website:
Frequently Asked Questions
When are my Delaware bar exam results released?
Delaware bar exam results are usually posted eight to nine weeks after the exam date.
Can I see my Delaware bar exam score?
If you passed the Delaware bar exam, you won’t be able to see your score. If you failed the exam, you will receive MPT items, MEE questions, and a copy of the scored written essays in the mail.
Can I appeal to have my Delaware bar exam re-graded?
How many times can I take the bar exam in Delaware?
You can retake the Delaware bar without any limit.
Here are some Facebook groups you may find helpful before, and after, passing the bar exam:
Widener University Delaware School of Law
- Widener University School of Law Friends (14 members)
- Parents Attending Law School -- Widener Law Delaware (16 members)
- DE -- Law #Nation (41 members)
- Delaware Law 2020 Incoming Class (27 members)
- Delaware Law 2019 Incoming Class (219 members)
- Delaware Law School 2018 Incoming Class (198 members)
- Delaware Law School 2017 Incoming Class (207 members)
- Widener University Delaware Law School 2016 Incoming Class (182 members)
- Widener University Delaware Law School 2015 Incoming Class (162 members)
More helpful resources and study materials to help you pass the Delaware State bar exam: