Ultimate Guide to South Carolina State Bar Exam
South Carolina State Bar Exam | Basic Information
The South Carolina State Bar was formed in 1884. It is a voluntary association.
South Carolina is one of 30+ states that have adopted the Uniform Bar Examination (UBE). South Carolina first administered the UBE in February 2017.
|Access Period||Lifetime||3 months||4 months||4 months||Up to 3 years||Lifetime||5-7 months||5 months|
|Financing||3 payments||$250 registration|
|Phone||(385) 482-1776||(888) 322-7274||(888) 843-6476||(626) 390-7170||(877) 942-2763||(800) 529-2651||(877) 466-1250||N/A|
Crushendo’s written and audio outlines utilize 250+ proprietary mnemonics to help you memorize everything you need to know to pass the bar exam on your first try.
Crushendo’s UBE Suite costs $790 and includes 2,000+ official questions from the NCBE.
Crushendo offers lifetime access to its bar exam prep products.
The Harcourt publishing company founded Barbri in 1974 when it acquired two bar review programs. Since its founding Barbri has been owned by large firms, including Thomson Reuters and Leeds Equity Partners.
Barbri products have been used by more than a million law school students. In the last 20 years Barbri has settled multiple antitrust lawsuits.
Barbri’s bar prep programs cost $2,495-4,095 and include 100+ official NCBE questions from past bar exams.
Barbri offers access to its online products for three months.
Themis Bar Review is based in Chicago and was founded in 2008.
Themis publishes its pass rates publicly on its website.
Themis bar prep programs cost $1,595-2,695 and include an unknown amount of NCBE questions.
Themis offers access to its online products for four months.
Stanley Kaplan founded Kaplan, Inc. in 1938.
Kaplan jumped into the bar review space in 2006 when it acquired PMBR, a company that provides test prep for the MBE. In 2008 Kaplan expanded its bar review offerings.
Kaplan’s bar prep programs cost $2,299-3,999 and include 1,200+ NCBE questions.
Kaplan offers access to its online products for four months.
Alexander Nakis founded AmeriBar in 1999. It’s headquartered in Tallahassee, Florida.
AmeriBar’s bar exam prep programs cost $895-2,545 and include 1,400+ NCBE questions.
AmeriBar offers access to its online products for up to three years.
Michael Ghaffary and Mehran Ebadolahi founded BarMax in 2010.
BarMax’s bar exam prep programs cost $699-1,499 and include 1,905+ NCBE questions.
BarMax offers lifetime access to its online products.
Tarek Fadel founded AdaptiBar in 2003.
AdaptiBar’s bar exam prep programs cost $395-1,065 and include up to 1,700+ NCBE questions.
AdaptiBar offers access to its online products for 5-7 months.
Matt Sellers founded Quimbee in 2007.
Quimbee’s bar prep programs cost $499-999 and include up to 1,830+ NCBE questions.
Quimbee offers access to its online products for 5 months.
What’s the format of the UBE?
The Uniform Bar Exam (UBE) is administered twice each year in South Carolina (in February, and July). The examination is administered over two days in four, three-hour sessions. The UBE has three parts: the Multistate Bar Exam (MBE), the Multistate Essay Exam (MEE), and the Multistate Performance Test (MPT).
The MBE is a six-hour test and consists of 200 multiple-choice questions that test your understanding across seven subjects. Your MBE score comprises 50% of your overall UBE score.
The MEE consists of six 30-minute legal essays. Your MEE score comprises 30% of your UBE score.
South Carolina bar exam essay topics may include the following: Business Associations, Civil Procedure, Conflict of Laws, Constitutional Law, Contracts, Criminal Law and Procedure, Evidence, Family Law, Property, Secured Transactions, Torts, Trusts, Unincorporated Business Entities, Wills and Estates, etc.
Crushendo offers the most recent MEE questions and includes the point sheets that the graders used.
The MPT consists of two 90-minute tasks where you analyze and apply laws to specific scenarios. Your MPT score comprises 20% of your UBE score. Crushendo offers the most recent MPT questions and includes the point sheets that the graders used.
What’s the Multistate Professional Responsibility Examination?
The Multistate Professional Responsibility Examination (MPRE) tests your understanding of established standards of conduct for lawyers. The MPRE is administered three times each year (in March, August, and November). The test consists of 60 multiple-choice questions and is two hours long. Check out this MPRE Tips video!
Upcoming Bar Exam Schedule, Dates, Location
Are you interested in taking the South Carolina State bar exam? Here’s some basic information on applying to take the South Carolina bar exam.
The South Carolina Bar application fee for most takers is $1,000. There is an additional $500 fee for a late application.
*Visit the South Carolina State Bar Admission Office’s website for more information.
If you desire to take the bar exam in February, fill out an application from August 1 to August 31. You can also apply from September 1 to September 30 for an extra $500 fee. If you want to take the July bar exam, fill out an application from December 1 to January 10. You can also apply from January 11 to January 31 for an extra $500 fee.
In addition to passing the South Carolina bar exam with a score of at least 266, there are several requirements that must be met in order to be admitted as an attorney in South Carolina, including:
- Score 77 or higher on the Multistate Professional Responsibility Examination (MPRE) within the accepted time frame.
- Certificate of Good Standing
- Graduate from an ABA-approved law school
South Carolina State Bar Admissions Office
Supreme Court Building
1231 Gervais Street
Columbia, SC 29201
Office of Bar Admissions
Supreme Court of South Carolina
P.O. Box 11330
Columbia, SC 29211
Phone number: (803) 734-1080
What to bring
- Your current driver’s license.
- Your Bar Examination Identification & Certification Card that has your photo, NCBE number, and examinee number.
- You need to have these items with you for each of the four testing sessions.
- Laptop testers should not bring their laptop in a case or bag.
- Any item that can connect to the internet
- Any item that can record audio or video
- Food or drink
- Scratch papers
- Study materials
South Carolina Bar Review Course
Crushendo’s comprehensive UBE Suite comes with everything you need to crush the South Carolina bar exam.
- MBE, MEE, MPT, and MPRE Prep
- 250+ Proprietary Mnemonics
- 2,000+ Licensed NCBE Questions
- Audio Flashcards
- Lifetime Access
View lists of those who passed the South Carolina State bar exam, posted on the South Carolina State Bar Association’s website:
Frequently Asked Questions
When are my South Carolina bar exam results released?
February bar exam results are normally posted in April. July bar exam results are normally posted in October.
Can I see my South Carolina bar exam score?
If you passed the South Carolina bar exam, you won’t be able to see your score. If you failed the exam, you will receive MPT items, MEE questions, and a copy of the scored written essays in the mail.
Can I appeal to have my South Carolina bar exam re-graded?
How many times can I take the bar exam in South Carolina?
You can retake the UBE without any limit in South Carolina. However, if you fail more than three times, you will be required to complete extra study and be allowed to take the UBE only once a year.
Applicants seeking admission to the South Carolina State Bar, without taking the bar exam, must comply with Admission Requirements.
South Carolina does not have reciprocal admission with any other state. You must take the bar exam to be admitted into the state of South Carolina. You can be admitted if you take the UBE in another state if you:
- Have received a scaled score of 266 within the last three years
- Pay a $1,000 application fee
- Receive a Certificate of Good Standing
Here’s a list of law schools in South Carolina.
Here are some Facebook groups you may find helpful before, and after, passing the bar exam:
University of South Carolina School of Law
- University of South Carolina Women in Law Members & Alumni (33 members)
- University of South Carolina School of Law Jewish Legal Society (10 members)
- University of South Carolina School of Law Class of 2022 (354 members)
- University of South Carolina School of Law: Class of 2021 (410 members)
- University of South Carolina School of Law Class of 2020 (393 members)
- University of South Carolina School of Law Class of 2019 (352 members)
Charleston School of Law
- Charleston School of Law Alumni (919 members)
- Charleston School of Law Housing (282 members)
- Charleston School of Law Second Amendment Association (73 members)
- SCACDL Charleston School of Law Student Division (75 members)
- Student Ambassadors-Charleston School of Law (33 members)
- Charleston School of Law Class of 2022 (192 members)
- Charleston School of Law Class of 2021 (243 members)
- Charleston School of Law Class of 2020 (284 members)
- Charleston School of Law Class of 2019 (209 members)
- Charleston School of Law Class of 2018 (96 members)
- Charleston School of Law Class of 2017 (127 members)
- Charleston School of Law Class of 2016 (145 members)
More helpful resources and study materials to help you pass the South Carolina State Bar Exam: